What is MeLCat?
MeLCat, the Michigan eLibrary Catalog, is a statewide network of Michigan libraries sharing resources with each other. The catalog lists items held by the participating libraries and provides a way for patrons to search and request items to be delivered to their home library. This service is funded in part by the State of Michigan through the Library of Michigan, with federal LSTA grants through the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
OU Libraries also participate in the MeLCat Visiting Patron Service. This reciprocal borrowing feature allows members of participating libraries to use their valid home library card and a current photo ID to borrow in-person from another MeLCat Visiting Patron participating library.
How do I search MeLCat?
- Go to MeLCat and type in your search keyword. The search also allows you to look for an author or title.
- Click on the item you want from the list of results.
- Follow the link to "Get this for me!"
- Choose Oakland University as your library.
- Log in with your name and Grizzly number to complete the request.
May I request an item that is owned by the OU Libraries?
The primary function of MeLCat is to give you access to items not owned by OU Libraries. If our copy is currently checked out, MeLCat will accept your request. If the item is on our shelf, then MeLCat will send you an error message.
How will I know when to pick up the item?
You will be notified via email when your items arrive at the OU Kresge Library. All materials requested through MeLCat are to be picked up at and returned to the Service Desk. You are also notified by email when your requests cannot be filled, and when your requests have expired (30 day default).
How can I check on the status of an item that I requested in MeLCat?
- Log in to MyMeLCat to manage your requests.
- Enter your name and Grizz Number (including the G).
- This will display the details of all your requests.
- You may use the Renew feature once per item to extend the due date.
- If you still have questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. On Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm you may call 248-370-2132.
How does the MeLCat Visiting Patron Service Work?
- Visit a library that participates in the Visiting Patron Service.
- Go to the shelf, choose the books you would like to borrow and take them to the Check-Out location.
- Students, faculty and staff must present their current OU SpiritCard and their Grizz ID number to use the service.
- Items checked out at a Visiting Patron library may be returned there or may be returned to the Oakland University Libraries before the due date.
- Before going to another library, check their hours of operation and also check the list of participating libraries to determine if the library you plan to visit participates in the Visiting Patron Service.
What is the cost for using MeLCat?
There is no cost to borrow materials from other MeLCat libraries. However, as with all Interlibrary Loan and OU Library materials, fines and fees for late or lost items will be applied to your library account. See details on overdue or lost items at Interlibrary Loan Policies page.
What is the meaning of each MeLCat status?
- MeL Requested: The request is waiting in the MeL system for a lending library to respond.
- In Transit: This means the book is on its way to Oakland University.
- Due Date: The book is currently Checked-Out to the patron and is due on the date specified.
- MeL Returned: The book is currently Checked-In and is on its way back to the lending library.
/ Updated on
February 21, 2017