Buildings @ Oakland University


John Dodge Farmhouse

JohnDodgeHouse_Last Batch

Quick Facts


In 1908, automotive pioneer John F. Dodge and his wife Matilda purchased an impressive acreage on which to build their lives together.  Included on this land was the Classic Revival clapboard farmhouse, which became known as the Dodge Farmhouse. As their lifestyle and family expanded, the Dodges made significant renovations to expand the house for usage as a weekend retreat. John Dodge passed away in 1920, leaving Matilda as inheritor of the estate. Following her marriage to Alfred G. Wilson in 1925, Matilda and her new husband resided in the farmhouse during the construction of Meadow Brook Hall, the Tudor-style mansion in which they would live out the rest of their lives together.

It was maintained by the family as a residence until the university opened it as offices and classrooms for the Continuum Center and other  departments.  It retains status as a listing on the Federal Register of Historic Places.

Photos courtesy of the Oakland University Archives.