OU Libraries Timeline: students
1959: Temporary library
Temporary library quarters were set up at North Foundation Hall. Books were available with 'complete freedom' (no restrictions on number that could be borrowed, no due dates, no fines, and, initially, 24 hour library access). Material was shelved alphabetically to make it available before it was catalogued.
1961: Kresge Library Opens
October 27, 1961: Library contents moved from North Foundation Hall to the new Kresge Library building. Students helped by pushing books on book trucks over from the former library at North Foundation Hall, and by loading and unloading books. All materials were moved in three and a half hours. The building was officially dedicated the following spring. View the program for the dedication.
1965: Library learning
A library information test was taken by 1,000 Oakland University students during orientation week. As a result, 230 students signed up for a short course to prepare them for learning at the library, which was taught two days a week for three weeks.
1965: Student library committee
The Student Library Committee of the Kresge Library began operation.
1968: Matilda R. Wilson fund establishedThe Matilda R. Wilson Memorial Fund
for the purchase of reference and bibliographic works was established by the students of Oakland University. Students agreed to a slight increase in fees in order to support the library's reference collection.
1970: Student protest
A group of students, protesting university policies on gender issues, environmental concerns, and military recruitment on campus, took approximately 2500 books from the library and held them at the Oakland Center as a way of attracting attention to their causes.
1985: Term paper clinic
The library offered a 'Term Paper Clinic' (half-hour one-on-one meetings with a librarian) to assist undergraduates with their research and writing.
Photos courtesy of the Oakland University Archives.