OU Libraries Timeline: 1990s


1990: Copy cards

Copy card service began to replace coin-operated photocopiers.

1992: CALL System

The CALL online ordering system was introduced, allowing patrons to request books and articles to be inter-library loaned from Wayne State University without having to fill out paper forms.

1992: Gopher network

The Library Menu became an option on the OU Gopher network (a predecessor to the World Wide Web).  Within the Kresge Library main menu were such options as the Acquisitions List of New Books, CD-ROM Tutorials, and information about library services.

1993: Kevern and Bledsoe Donation

A gift of $1000 was made to the Kresge Library by Ron Kevern and Wilma Ray Bledsoe, to be used for the purchase of recent university press books about African-Americans.  Wilma Ray Bledsoe was the first African-American Vice President for Student Affairs at Oakland University, while Ron Kevern was an administrative professional at OU.

1994: Email reference service

Kresge Library began providing answers to reference questions via email.

1996: Computer labs

The first classes were taught in a new lab with state of the art instructional equipment, including 25 computer workstations, a CD tower and a file server. Total cost was $150,000, half being financed by a grant of the National Science Foundation. The room was named 'Statistics Classroom for Social Sciences and Business" as it was used to teach statistics as well as library research. Computer lab plan

1998: Voyager

The library's new online public access catalog, Voyager, was opened to the public.

Photos courtesy of the Oakland University Archives.