Customizing PubMed to link to Kresge Library Resources
PubMed offers customization features that will allow you to link directly from an article's full citation to Kresge Library's full text holdings, search the library's print holding, or request an item that we do not have through interlibrary loan. To do this you will need to have a PubMed/My NCBI account, and then set your preferences to use Kresge Library's "Outside Tool."
If you have not already done so, create a PubMed My NCBI Account. If you already have an account, sign in and skip to step 2. PubMed provides a tutorial on how to sign up for an NCBI account. The process is relatively simple:
- Go to the PubMed home page.
- Look for the "My NCBI" box in the upper right-hand corner and select "Register"
- Follow the on screen instructions.
- Once you've registered, you'll be logged in to PubMed/My NCBI. Now, select the "My NCBI" link from the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Under Preferences select Common Preferences.
- Under PubMed Preference select "Outside Tool" and select Oakland University from the list.
- Now, as long as you are signed in to your PubMed/My NCBI account, when you pull up an items full record (by clicking on the title in a results list) you will see the Kresge Library "Get It" Icon, which will search for full-text versions of that item that Kresge Library provides access to. In the results that full-text is not available, it will also provide links that will allow you to, with a single click, search the Library Catalog for print versions of the item, or log in to our Illiad Interlibrary Loan service and request the item if Kresge Library doesn't have a copy (at no cost to you).
/ Updated on
February 8, 2017