Adriene Lim, Ph.D., MLIS
Dean, University Libraries
300A Kresge Library
Phone: (248) 370-2459
Fax: (248) 370-2474
"Libraries provide tools for learning, understanding and progress. They preserve the heritage of our society and our nation. They are a window to our future. They are a source of hope. They are a symbol of our community with [humankind]. They represent the link between the solitary individual and [humankind], which is our community."
- Dr. Vartan Gregorian, Carnegie Corporation
Giving to Kresge Library
Latest Projects | Awards/Honors | Education | Selected Presentations/Publications
Areas of Responsibility
As Dean of the University Libraries, I serve as the chief administrative officer in the libraries at Oakland University. In addition to providing vision, leadership, and planning in all aspects of library administration, I am responsible for developing strong collaborative relationships within the university and surrounding communities, fostering staff and professional growth and development, participating in fundraising activities for the library, guiding the advancement of the library's technology and academic offerings especially in coordination with the e-learning and instructional support units, and integrating the library into the intellectual life of the university.
Latest Projects and Interests
- Organizational Development
- Shared Leadership in a Unionized Environment
- Appreciative Inquiry / Scenario Planning
- Journal of Academic Librarianship article named one of "Top 20 Best Articles in 2010" by the American Library Association Library Instruction Round Table, 2010
- Library and Information Technology Association (LITA) Councilor, American Library Association, Elected for Term 2010-2013.
- Frye Leadership Institute 2008 - Participant with Battin Scholarship Award
- Butler Award for Exceptional Library Service, 2007, Portland State University
- Full Three-Year Scholarship for Ph.D. Program in Managerial Leadership, 2007, Simmons College
- Loleta Fyan Award for Creative Library Service, 2004, Michigan Library Association
- Banner RAPP Exceptional Service Award from WSU Finance Division, 2003
- President's Exceptional Service Award, Wayne State University, Silver 2001
- President's Exceptional Service Award, Wayne State University, Bronze 2000
- Community Service Awards, Wayne State University, Recipient 1999, 2001.
- Process Improvement Award, Wayne State University, Recipient 2001
- Competitive-grant awarded to participate in the Institute for Legal and Ethical Issues Forum at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, in Milwaukee, WI, May 20-27, 2000
- National Organization for Women, Detroit Chapter, Harriet Tubman Award for Outstanding Leadership in Community Service, 1998.
- Best Bibliographic Essay Award, WSU Library & Information Science Program, 1995
- Graduate-Professional Merit Scholarship at WSU, Full Graduate Tuition Competitive Awards, 1994, 1995
- Award for Outstanding Achievement in Art Scholarship, Wayne State University, 1993 Recipien
- Joe Louis Arena Mural Commission Competition, 1993 Winner
- Detroit Society of Women Painters and Sculptors Annual Award, 1992 Recipient.
- Tompkins Essay Award, Wayne State University English Department, 1991.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Library and Information Science, Program: Managerial Leadership in the Information Professions,
Simmons College, Boston, Massachusetts
- Graduate, Frye Leadership Institute, Atlanta, Georgia
- Post-Graduate Courses toward Masters Degree in Computer Science, Wayne State University, Detroit
- Master of Library and Information Science, Summa cum Laude, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Summa cum Laude, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- Interim University Librarian, Portland State University
- Associate University Librarian, Portland State University
- Head of Library Technologies, Portland State University
- Digital Library Services Team Leader, Wayne State University, Detroit
- Systems Librarian/Head of Database Management, Detroit Area Library Network
- Cataloger, Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit
Selected Presentations and Publications
- Casey, A., Cawthorne, J., De Long, K., Herold, I., & Lim, A. (Accepted for Publication in 2014). The Triple Bottom Line: Portable Applications and Best Practices for Sustainability in Academic Libraries. In M. Jankowska’s Focus on Educating for Sustainability: Toolkit for Academic Libraries. Sacramento, CA: Litwin Books, LLC.
- Lim, A., Lewis, V., & Baker, N. (In progress for 2014). "Playing at the big table:" Betting on transformative change and collaboration at the Frye Leadership Institute. In I. Herold’s Leadership development programs for academic libraries. Chicago, IL: American Library Association, Publications in Librarianship.
- Michigan Academic Library Council (MALC) Spring Workshop, March 2013, Invited Presentation: "Communicating Library Value Begins at the Planning Stage."
- Joint Conference of Librarians of Color (JCLC), September 2012, Juried Presentation of Research Project Results: "Opting Out or Overlooked? Librarians of Color and Advancement to Senior-Level Administrative Positions in Academic Libraries."
- Lim, A. (2012) Assigned leaders in unionized environments: Coping with the economic recession and its aftermath in academic libraries. (Doctoral dissertation). Simmons College Graduate School of Library and Information Science.
- American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference, Library Leadership and Management Association (LLAMA) program entitled, “Return on Investment in a Tough Economy: Defining the Value of the Academic Library,” presentation “Triple Bottom Line Accounting” with two other Simmons Ph.D. colleagues, June 2011.
- Lim, A. (2010). Just when you needed them most. In P. Hernon's Shaping the future: Studying and discussing leadership in academic and public libraries (pp. 148-150). Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited.
- Lim, A. (2010). "The readability of information literacy content on academic library Web sites." Journal of Academic Librarianship, 36(4), 296-303.
- Research Project, "ACRL/Harvard Leadership Institute for Academic Librarians: A Retrospective Evaluation," presented by Simmons co-researchers during ALA Midwinter Meeting, January 2010. PowerPoint Presentation
- Copyright Spring Symposium, April 2009, "Institutional Repositories."
- Wang, J. & Lim, A. (2009). "Local touch and global reach: The next generation of network-level information discovery and delivery services in a digital landscape." Library Management, 30(1/2), 25-34.
- Northwest Interlibrary Loan (NWILL) Conference, September 2008, "Reaching a Higher Summit: Elevating Discovery and Resource Sharing," with two Orbis Cascade Alliance colleagues, John Helmer and Nancy Nathanson. PowerPoint Presentation: download slides
- Elteto, S., Jackson, R., Lim A. (2008). "'Is the library a 'welcoming space'? An urban academic library and diverse student experiences." portal: Libraries and the Academy, 8(3), 325-337.
- Oregon Library Association Annual Conference, April 2007, "Central Search / Multi-Search: Federated Searching at Portland State University." PowerPoint Presentation: download slides
- ACRL Conference Proceedings Publication, March 2007, "Library Mashups for the Virtual Campus: Web 2.0 Current Awareness Services." Paper published in proceedings and presented at the ACRL Conference, March 2007, with two co-authors; PowerPoint Presentation: download slides
- Joint Conference of Librarians of Color, October 14, 2006, "Welcoming Space? The Urban Academic Library and Diverse Students" PowerPoint Presentation: Handout PDF or download slides; References: Handout PDF
- Oregon Library Association Annual Conference, April 6 2006, "Feeding Your Blog: RSS Basics" with two co-presenters.
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) 12th National Conference in 2005, "The Future of Diversity in Academic Libraries: Learning Organizations taking Proactive Measures," with three other peers.
- Michigan Library Consortium Annual Conference, October 1, 2004, "From RFP to Implementation: Fast-Track ILS Migration," as part of three-member presentation.
- Lim, A. (2003). "Collaborative Digitization Projects: Opportunities to enhance teaching and learning." ALA, LITA's Information Technology and Libraries. 22, 2: 75-78.
- Muir, S. & Lim, A. (2002). Library systems office organization: An ARL SPEC kit 271. Washington, DC: Association of Research Libraries.
- Lim, A. (Ed.). (2000-2003). Technology Electronic Reviews (TER), publication of the Library and Information Technology Association (LITA) of the American LibraryAssociation. Appointed Editor-in-Chief.
/ Updated on
November 27, 2013