This past year Technical Services was fully staffed
making the time propitious to institute a desk audit of all staff. We did this
in order to identify work flow snags, overloads or underloads and to come up
with a plan for cross-training. When we lost one casual position (Michael
and/or Brian), the position which was responsible for USBE, due to fiscal exigencies,
the audit allowed us to readily identify the person who would be trained to
take over. Since a consultant will be coming to look at TS we decided to hold
off any further decisions based on the audit until that worthy does his
Last year Acquisitions finished implementing EDI
with Faxon, not an inconsiderable task. EDI worked beautifully and therefore
knowing that we would continue with it we wrote a procedures manual. Because
the gods are vengeful in late 2002 Faxon went bankrupt.
Richard completed a procedures manual for Fiscal
Period Close and using it Shirley A. with Nicole's help implemented FPC. The
monies rolled yet again as they should.
Shirley, with other acquisitions staff, continues to
work on procedures manuals for all acquisitions tasks.
The Faxon fiasco created new and interesting
challenges for serials as well as acquisitions. Using information from Faxon a
database was created to track our serials publications with particular emphasis
on whether the publisher would "grace" or not. TS updated the database as
information became available from any number of sources. Because we did not
receive many of our subscriptions, staff donated journal and newspaper issues,
a happy fact, but which required extra care in check-in and claiming. Due to
the cut casual position's hard work we were also able to get 600 issues via
duplicate exchange. At the risk of sounding Pollyanna-ish the bright note in
this otherwise dreary mess was that we had to go through our serials records
title by title and thus were able to identify and correct problems, such as POs
that needed cancelling, changing the statuses for title changes, deleting
check-in records for cancelled titles, changing vendor information and other
types of record infelicities.
Serials also sent 2,624 issues to the bindery and
sorted 14,143 pieces of mail.
Once Ebsco was identified as our new serials vendor
the staff was trained in the use of Ebsconet. The first order of business will
be claiming issues. Then we can begin EDI prep work yet again, but that is next
This past year the cataloging unit added 12,003
pieces of material to the database and withdrew 1,002, excluding government
documents. The music cassette withdrawal project was finished. In addition, we
added about 600 e-journal records and deleted six. The electronic journal
resources inventory, all 86 pages of it, was completed. Records were brought up
to current cataloging standards and holdings and URL's were verified.
The "in-process" flag on newly cataloged items seems
to be working well, allowing us to better track the location of new materials.
The removal of all subject headings but LC's is continuing apace. We have
removed all medical and French headings but are still left with a vast number
of children's, which are being removed and/or changed to LC. This project is
ongoing because all types tend to creep back in. Eric has loaded the circa
1,300 "Making of America" records and was able to strip offending subject
headings from records prior to the load thus saving many person hours. The
records have, however, begun to show up with a vengeance in database
maintenance, since they contain many headings new to our catalog and since some
of them are not in the correct form. (This unhappy fact is also true of the
video records.) In addition, many do not have subject headings of any kind even
when they sorely need them.
processed 922 documents shipping lists, which included 2,400 paper, 10,425
microfiche and 86 CD's. In addition she has created and/or edited 6,770 URL's.
The government is doing a retro cataloging project to make older documents
electronically available, hence the number of URL's. She has also deleted about
2,800 records generally for materials that we do not get, never received, or no
longer have. Another ongoing project is deleting empty item records that the
system created when we migrated from NOTIS to Voyager. So far she has edited
the holding records for over 4,500 fiche.
Security tagging for all documents over 45 pages has
documents "asterisk" project is also making headway. With student help Jerri
has verified and/or altered the location of 23,494 documents. We now know for
sure whether these are paper or fiche.
Geoff has added 1,127 Michigan documents and
Editors have also gone through our Local Data
Records on OCLC and updated 556, created 52>and deleted 115. This project was important since First Search's World
Cat now pulls holdings information from these records. The tattle-taping
project identified large numbers of books needing repair and Shirley P. oversaw
the repair of 1,007 volumes. There is about a half of a truck left waiting for
librarian decision. They are generally books that cannot be bound or repaired
or would require a great deal of time to repair.
As in the past this report highlights the special
projects that we have begun/finished this year. I have not included the many
and varied ongoing "regular" tasks, which we routinely and efficiently
accomplish. I must include, however, the staffs' generous contribution to the
Oakland University, Kresge Library
2200 N Squirrel Rd., Rochester, MI 48309
(248) 370 - 4426