OU Libraries Timeline: building
1959: Temporary library
Temporary library quarters were set up at North Foundation Hall. Books were available with 'complete freedom' (no restrictions on number that could be borrowed, no due dates, no fines, and, initially, 24 hour library access). Material was shelved alphabetically to make it available before it was catalogued.
1960: Ground-breaking ceremony
On October 17, 1960 the ground-breaking ceremony for the Kresge Library was held.
View the program of the ground-breaking ceremony.
1961: Kresge Library Opens
October 27, 1961: Library contents moved from North Foundation Hall to the new Kresge Library building. Students helped by pushing books on book trucks over from the former library at North Foundation Hall, and by loading and unloading books. All materials were moved in three and a half hours. The building was officially dedicated the following spring. View the program for the dedication.
1966: New floors open
The basement and top floor of the Kresge Library were opened for use.
1976: Saints and Sinners sculpture
October 22, 1976: dedication of the Saints and Sinners
fountain - sculptures by Marshall Fredericks.
1987: Library expansion begins
The ground-breaking ceremony for the long-awaited library expansion was held. Board of Trustees member David Handleman, Dean of the Library Suzanne Frankie, and President Joseph Champagne
participated in the ceremony.
1989: New wings added
November 8, 1989: The library's renovation and expansion was celebrated. The two new wings were named the Alumni Wing and the McGregor Wing, after donors who had supported the expansion. With the completion of the building project, Reference collections, staff, and services were able to move into their new location. An air-conditioning unit behind the Reference desk provided some relief during the construction period over the summer months.
2010: Cafe opens
The Frankie Cafe (named after former University Librarian Suzanne Frankie) opens in the library's 'fishbowl' area.
Photos courtesy of the Oakland University Archives.